AUSTIN YOUTH FLUTE CHOIR INFORMATION
The Austin Flute Society is excited to announce the second season of the Austin Youth Flute Choir! The Austin Youth Flute Choir (AYFC) provides opportunities for high school and advanced 8th grade students from all over Austin to perform and collaborate as a group.
This ensemble is designed for students seeking performance opportunities outside of school. The season will begin on Sunday, December 1, 2019 and will conclude in April 2020. The choir will perform at the Austin Flute Society’s annual festival on April 4, along with a few community outreach performances in April. Additional performance dates will be announced in January.
The AYFC will rehearse on Sundays 3:45 pm to 5:00 pm during the months of December through March (possibly April depending on performances). Rehearsals will take place at St. John’s United Methodist Church (2140 Allandale Road, Austin, 78756. In addition to performing on C Flute, students will have the opportunity to play piccolo, alto flute, or bass flute, if desired. Dr. Rebecca Poole is excited to return as the group’s ensemble director.
REQUIREMENTS FOR MEMBERSHIP:
• The AYFC is open to all flutists Grades 9-12. Outstanding 8th grade students may also be considered, but membership is not guaranteed. All participants must have at least 2 years of prior experience playing the flute and must be taking private flute lessons on a regular basis. Each student must pay a $50 participation fee, which includes an AFS membership.
• Due to the limited amount of rehearsal time before the performances, attendance at all rehearsals is mandatory. All requests for absences must be made at least 1 week in advance and must be approved by the flute choir director. No more than a total of two absences will be allowed, and ALL performers must be present for dress rehearsals and performances.
• All students must register online at Students and parents must provide a good contact number and e-mail address. You must also private your private flute instructor’s name and contact info in order to be considered.
• The deadline to pay the participation fee is Sunday, December 15. For members who have paid prior to the deadline, this will also be the last day for students who wish to withdraw from the ensemble and receive a full refund.
• We will continue to accept new members until January 12. However, it is highly encouraged to sign up early. AUDITIONS:
• All new, interested students must perform a short, private audition for Dr. Poole on Dec. 1. These auditions will last no more than 2 to 3 minutes per person and are meant to allow each player to showcase his or her strengths and function as a way to accurately distribute flute choir parts. Students should audition with whatever music they feel comfortable playing. (Suggested: a short solo piece or any of the TMEA Region/All-State Etudes, Major Scales and Chromatic). Auditions should only be performed on C Flute, but students will have the opportunity to perform in the ensemble on piccolo, alto flute, and bass flute, if desired.
• Returning students do not need to audition. However, students interested in performing on a bass or alto flute should come to the Dec 1 date to play on the desired instruments.
• 8TH GRADERS ONLY: Interested 8th grade students must have their private teacher send a letter of recommendation to Dr. Poole prior to the first rehearsal in order to be considered. Teachers should send recommendations via e-mail to email@example.com. Immediately following the auditions, 8th grade students will be notified if they have been selected to participate in the ensemble. A full refund will be issued for any students not selected to participate.
#1 - December 1 (new member auditions and big flute trials)
#2 - December 15 (meet and greet and reading session)
#3 - January 12
[No rehearsal January 19]
#4 - January 26
#5 - February 2
#6 - February 9
[No rehearsal February 16]
#7 - February 23
#8 - March 1
#9 - March 8
[SPRING BREAK - no rehearsal March 15]
#10 March 22
#11 March 29 - Dress Rehearsal for AFS Flute Festival Mandatory Attendance
[Additional April rehearsals may be needed, but notice will be given well in advance]
Performances: Austin Flute Festival Performance: April 4 Additional community performances in April TBA