THE AUSTIN FLUTE SOCIETY
Austin Youth Flute Choir
AUSTIN FLUTE SOCIETY
AUSTIN YOUTH FLUTE CHOIR
Please share this information with your students as we would love to have as many as possible to share their wonderful talents with us!
The Austin Flute Society is excited to announce a virtual season of the Austin Youth Flute Choir! The Austin Youth Flute Choir (AYFC) provides opportunities for high school and advanced 8th grade students from all over Austin to perform and collaborate as a group in the digital age.
This ensemble is designed for students seeking performance opportunities outside of school. The season will begin on January 31, 2021 and will conclude in April 2021. The choir will perform at the Austin Flute Society’s Virtual festival on April 17
The AYFC will rehearse via Zoom on Sundays 3:45 pm to 5:00 pm during the months of January - April. Rehearsals will take place online.
REQUIREMENTS FOR MEMBERSHIP:
• The AYFC is open to all flutists Grades 9-12. Outstanding 8th grade students may also be considered, but membership is not guaranteed. All participants must have at least 2 years of prior experience playing the flute and must be taking private flute lessons on a regular basis. Each student must pay a $50 participation fee, which includes an AFS membership.
• Due to the limited amount of rehearsal time before the performances, attendance at all rehearsals is mandatory. All requests for absences must be made at least 1 week in advance and must be approved by the flute choir director. No more than a total of two absences will be allowed.
ALL performers must be present for dress rehearsals and performances.
• The deadline to pay the participation fee is Sunday, January 31. For members who have paid prior to the deadline, this will also be the last day for students who wish to withdraw from the ensemble and receive a full refund.
• ALL students (returning and new) must perform a short, private audition for Dr. Poole on by January 29, 2021. These VIDEO auditions will last no more than 2 to 3 minutes per person and are meant to allow each player to showcase his or her strengths and function as a way to accurately distribute flute choir parts. Students should audition with whatever music they feel comfortable playing. (Suggested: a short solo piece or any of the TMEA Region/All-State Etudes, Major Scales and Chromatic).
• Students who are interested in playing piccolo should include an additional video audition of them on the instrument.
• 8TH GRADERS ONLY: Interested 8th grade students must have their private teacher send a letter of recommendation to Dr. Poole prior to the first rehearsal in order to be considered. Teachers should send recommendations via e-mail to . Immediately following the auditions, 8th grade students will be notified if they have been selected to participate in the ensemble. A full refund will be issued for any students not selected to participate.
• Video submissions can be submitted to Dr. Poole via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. *audio only submissions will be returned for a video performance*